Content matters a lot, but so does the medium the content is conveyed withing. Understanding how type, rhythm, line hieght, case, capitalization, character, etc. come together will help communicate your message much effectively.
In a sense, typography is one of the best hidden skills that you can have.
To help you master your typography, here’s a hand-curated non-exhaustive list of typography books, resources, and learning material:
- 8Faces Blog
- Canva’s Typography Guide
- Designing with Type
- Detail in Typography
- Digital Typography
- Flexibly Typesetting
- I Love Typography
- Inside Paragraphs Typographic Fundamentals
- Jost Hochuli: Detail In Typography
- Learn Type
- Microsoft Typography
- On Web Typography
- Practical Typgoraphy
- Pro Web Type
- Shady Characters
- Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works
- The Anatomy of Type
- The Elements of Typographic Style
- The History of Western Typography
- The Triumph of Typography: Culture. Communication. New Media
- The Ultimate Guide to Font Pairing
- The Visual History of Type: A visual survey of 320 typefaces
- Theory of Type Design
- Thinking with Type
- Type Society
- Typographic Doubletakes
- Typographic Hierarchy of Web Design
- Typography Guru
- Typography Handbook
- Variable Types
- Web Typography Book
That’s all for now. I hope these resources give you some insight into the wonderful world of typography. I’ll add more to the list if I bump into new material.
Have Something to Share?
If you have anything to add to the list, just shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will update this page.
Until next time… May the source be with you 🦄.
\ \\, \\\,^,.,,. “Zero to Hero” ,;7~((\))`;;,, <zerotohero.dev> ,(@') ;)`))\;;', stay up to date, be curious: learn ) . ),(( ))\;, /;`,,/7),)) )) )\,, (& )` (,((,((;( ))\,